Wondering why and how you should be incorporating technology into your speech and language therapy sessions?
We struggle to keep our speech students motivated. They are motivated by technology. Why not use it?!
What are some of our options in terms of devices?
- iPad (I use my personal)
- Smartboard (if you are fortunate enough!)
- Chromebook (more and more districts are started to provide them)
- Computer (don’t be afraid to gather your group around the desktop in your tiny speech room! I have done it and it can be effective!)
- iPhone (last resort but can work in a pinch!).
- there are obviously more devices out there but I mentioned the most common!
So what are some benefits of using technology in speech?
- Quick to prep: no photocopying or laminating required!
- Perfect for traveling SLPs! No need to lug around heavy bags all the time!
- So many options which means that students won’t get bored easily!
- Teaches and reinforces 21st century skills.
- It makes learning fun. Our students are struggling learners. Let’s change up how they learn, make it hands on, and make it fun.
What are some easy ways to incorporate technology?
If you have an iPad, you can use various apps in speech. There are several apps created by and for SLPs such as those by Smarty Ears and Virtual Speech Center. There are tons more too! There are also several free apps out there now designed specifically for SLPs but can totally be used easily to work on a variety of speech goals. CLICK HERE to see my round up blog post with all of my favorite free apps to use in speech and how I use them.
No Print Activities
There are tons of no print activities on TpT that allows you to use a PDF in an interactive way. You can open it up on an iPad, computer, tablet, chromebook, or whatever and “play the game” right on the screen. I currently only have 1 fully no print activity in my TpT store but hope to add more in the near future! CLICK HERE to check it out.
Using You Tube and Videos in Speech
If you have been reading my blog, emails, or following me on social media for some time now you know I love YouTube and using videos in speech. I did a whole webinar about using videos in speech therapy! CLICK HERE to check out the replay! YouTube is great because you can access movie clips, wordless videos, and more!
Click the links below to check out various blog posts:
Websites that Can Be Used in Speech Therapy
There are a ton of free websites out there that can be used easily in speech on a computer, Chromebook, Smartboard, and other devices. They are fun, interactive, and makes planning really easy.
Check out the links below to learn about my favorite websites and how I use them in my speech room:
As you can see there are many easy ways to incorporate technology in your speech room and a variety of goals that can be address with it. There are paid and free options. It is a matter of realizing what devices you have access to and what would work best for you and your caseload.