Want to learn about a fun gadget that you can use to motivate your students and work on any speech and language goal? Read on to learn more about Hue Animation Studio!
Hue is a company that provides “colorful, affordable technology to inspire creative learning and teaching.” They were super generous to provide a Hue Animation Studio for our ASHA Meet and Greet event in Philadelphia! They were even more generous because they provided me with another one to try out to share with all of you!
What is included in this product?
- CD Rom
- Suggested activities book
What do you need for this product?
- A computer! I recommend using a laptop so you can easily use it on a therapy table.
- You only need wifi for installing the CD-Rom! I don't have wifi in my therapy room so I brought my laptop home, installed it, and then brought it back to work. I was good to go!
- Clay, toys, or anything to manipulate and move!
- Paper or something to make a background!
- Some time to play around with it!
OK, so once you install, you can open up a project on the program. It provides you with two screens. It took me a bit to figure out which screen I needed and that I needed to set the settings to view from the Hue camera and not from the camera on my laptop (I did NOT like seeing myself on the screen). Then, you can position your props with a background. For a quick background, I just propped up a file folder with my crayon box! I even used the scene from my Differentiated Question Scenes Pack to make a space scene!
Students can click to take a picture with the Hue camera (on the computer program) and then move the props a slight bit and keep taking more pictures. When they are all done, the program stitches the pictures together to make them look animated!
When they are done, they can add audio, text, and drawings onto the pictures/video!
What speech goals did I address with this activity/program?
- Articulation: students make videos incorporating their target sounds
- Social skills: students had to work together, come up with a conversational script, turn take, and more
- Sentence structure: students had to use complete utterances when they were making audio of their animations
- Following directions: students had to follow simple and multi-step directions
- Problem solving
- Story retell
- and more!
This gadget was so motivating! My students are always asking to play with it! I highly recommend playing around with it before you use it with students (although I had a social skills group that really enjoyed helping me figure out how to use it!). It definitely took time to figure out how to use it but once I did, it was so much fun! Learn more about this product by clicking HERE!