Social Thinking provided me with an opportunity to check out their new music CD, Superflex My Hero Inside, and I knew I had to check it out.
My students love music!
It is an entire program designed around social skills and created by Michelle Garcia Winner (I met her at ASHA 2015 and was like meeting a celebrity). Here we are:
Anyway….this program teaches students strategies for dealing with various social situations they may face.
This CD has 13 songs that are upbeat and catchy! My students and I were bopping to the beat and after just one hearing of it, we were humming and singing along! Each song addresses another aspect of the Superflex program. You can view the lyrics on their site which is great because you can print it out for your students to sing along! Each song is about 1 ½ minutes long which is just long enough for our great attention spans! Click HERE to listen to pieces of each song and to view the song list!
I will go through each song on the CD and share some of my favorite aspects!
- Social Town: This song introduces students to a town that is social and everyone gets along. It describes what a social town would look like: everyone getting along, everyone’s here to help, and paying attention to me and I’ll pay attention to you.
- Social Detective: It introduces and reinforces that each student has a social detective inside them that helps with figuring out social situations. “With our toolbox of tools we can make a smart guess.”
- Rock Brain: This song is about a person that will not bend or compromise. It explains this type of person and the consequences. This song is a great way of teaching students the “wrong way.”
- Worry Wall: This song is about a piece inside you and me that is worried and prevents us from doing things. “So I’ll think about my problem, I really think it through, I won’t blow it up big. That’s what I would do. I know it’s true.”
- Glassman: This song is about getting upset and what you may want to do but gives students strategies on what they should do instead. “So I’ll calm my mind. And my body too, No problem’s too big, I can’t think it through.”
- One-Sided Sid: This song is all about someone that only thinks about themselves and what they are missing out on.
- Superflex Academy: This song is all about strategies to help with difficult social situations.
- Was Funny Once: This song is all about when it is OK to be funny and when you need to be serious.
- O.F. Destroyer of Fun: This song discusses learning how to play a game and the social aspects of it. This is great for those students always wanting to win or go first.
- Space Invader: This song is all about personal space and how to be social without making others uncomfortable.
- Body Snatcher: This song is for those that always wants to separate themselves from social situations (not wanting to participate or play in games).
- Brain Eater: This song is great for those having difficulties paying attention and focused. The “brain eater” makes it difficult for our brains to work properly all the time. This song discusses those struggles and provides strategies.
- My Hero Inside: This song is all about using our brains to make smart social decisions. The hero inside is our brain!
This CD is just fabulous! I highly recommend it for those working with students struggling with social situations. I recommend it’s use WITH the Superflex program so the terminology in the CD/songs make sense. It brings the concepts discussed to life (expected/unexpected behaviors, rock brain, unthinkables, and more!)
Visit their website to learn more!
Are you interested in checking out another review? Here's one about the book Hooway for Rodney Wat!