What is ESY you ask? It is Extended School Year. As many of you prepare to start working ESY, you may be wondering why did I sign up for this?! Or…you may be asking, why didn't I sign up to work it?! Here are some thoughts to motivate you whichever answer you have decided to go with!
Have I worked ESY?! YES! I have worked in the following scenarios over the years:
- Contract work through an agency to take on new cases just for the summer. I was able to make my own schedule, select which cases I wanted and select which areas I wanted to drive to and how far.
- Work for a 12 month school year program: by working in this school/environment, I was signed up contractually to work the full year. It was nice to not have to worry about what I was doing for the summer or where I would work, it just happened! I also didn't have to learn a new caseload, make a new schedule, or meet new coworkers.
- Sign up to cover a caseload for someone who did not want to work the 12 month program: this was way fun! The whole staff was basically a summer-only staff. We were all “new” together and had fun learning from each other. It was fun to do something different for the summer than I would normally do during the year and work with a different age group.
- Work for another district's ESY program: many districts have trouble convincing their own SLPs to work the ESY, so they were seeking SLPs from the outside. I had fun learning how another district worked!
- Work for my district's ESY program: I got to see all of the district's students that were receiving ESY as well as my own students. I had fun meeting faculty members from around my district. I always love to learn from others! It was nice being in my own district, in my own office, with my own materials at hand. But it was still a laid back environment and different than the usual 10 months.
- Enjoy it! It will be more laid back than during the school year!
- Enjoy the extra money! Remind yourself that it is bonus and we are lucky as SLPs that we can sign up to work for something extra like this.
- It is only 6 weeks! You have time before and after to enjoy your summer!
- You may get some district gossip while you are there!
- Have fun using summer themes: beach, pool, camp, ocean, picnic, and more!
- Can always seek employment somewhere else, there is always another district, clinic, or school that can use you!
- Sign up next year!