We get excited to shop for our new jobs. But we want to make sure we will actually use these items! Learn here what to buy!
When I first started out…there was no Pinterest of TpT. I spend WAY too much money on LARGE items that I thought I needed to survive. After that first year I realized 3 things – 1. I spent way too much money. 2. I left that job and age group and never needed those items again. 3. These items take up a TON of space which I don’t have. I don’t want that happening to you. Learn from my mistakes and if you are determined on investing this summer or the first year…consider investing on these 10 must have items.
- Generic games – puzzles, blocks, Candyland, Jenga, memory, etc. You can easily pair any task card or stimuli/task with a generic game to make it fun. You can find cheap games at dollar stores, Five Below, Goodwill, and garage sales. Don’t spend a ton! Start with a few and you can always add to the collection over the years.
- A planner. You want to be organized. You want to make sure you have all dates and deadlines written down. You need to keep it all together. You can go paper or digital. I am not telling you which method is best…you need to find out what works best for you. You can find SLP planners on TpT. I personally use an Erin Condren planner which you can learn all about by CLICKING HERE!
- Dice – you can turn anything into a game with some cheap dice that you can get at a dollar store (or Amazon of course)
- Library card – yes this is free! As SLPs we like to use books. It makes planning easier, lessons engaging, and helps us relate to the curriculum. Yes, I like to buy my favorite ones that I use year after year but in the beginning…until you know which those will be…get that library card and don’t be afraid to use it!
- Simple art supplies – crayons, markers, glue sticks, construction paper, scissors, stickers. All things you can get super cheap at dollar stores. It is always good to have a stash ready so when you come up with an idea for a super awesome lesson you already have.
- Laminator – you want to be able to save those awesome resources for many years. You prepped you want it to last! I don’t always laminate but when I have something awesome I spend the time to make sure I can use it year after year.
- iPad – see if you can get one from your job and if not you can try and find a refurbished one discounted. There are so many ways you can use this to save you time such as not having to print out activities just display in on the iPad, you can use Youtube videos, as well as tons of free apps such AS THESE.
- Pinterest/TpT Account – still not saying to spend. There are tons of free ideas and resources to try out as you learn what your therapy style is.
- Color printer – there are tons of cheap options such as the instant ink. You want to have it as an option to make visuals and quick materials if needed.
- A support system. If you are worried about feeling alone or unsure who to turn to, make sure you sign up for a Speech Time Fun PD which comes with an exclusive Facebook community that will give support, exclusive tips/tricks/ideas, and more! CLICK HERE to learn more.
Anything I missed!? Comment below with some suggestions! These are what I feel are most essential and can easily help you have the best year ever without spending a ton!