Want an EET but cannot lay out the money yourself? There is another way – Donors Choose!
Have you seen posts about the EET around blogs, Pinterest, and Facebook groups? The EET stands for the Expanding Expression Tool and it is a great tool for SLPs to use to teach vocabulary and expanding language. You can use it with students of ALL ages, not just elementary! Having the whole tool kit is key since the manual provides tons of resources, ideas, and worksheets! The kit has so much that can make an SLPs life so much easier. Click HERE to see my blog post about why having the kit is necessary.
I have made many comments over time that I got the EET through Donors Choose. I highly recommend looking into this if you are wanting one for yourself! To answer all questions on how, what did I do specifically, and more, I decided to put it all in one place here on my blog!!!
What is Donors Choose?
Donors Choose is a website where educators working in a public school can post “projects” and get them funded by family, friends, and strangers! You create an account and create a project! There are different categories, each worth different points.
You spend points every time you submit a project. The “cost” of each project depends on what you’re asking for. A project requesting…
- Materials found in a Donor’s Choose vendor directory that cost $400 or less costs 1 point.
- Materials found in the vendor directory that cost from $401 and $2000 costs 2 points.
- Materials found in the vendor directory that cost more than $2001 costs 4 points.
- A class visitor costs 3 points.
- A class trip that costs $1200 or less costs 3 points.
- A class trip that costs $1201 or more costs 4 points.
- A “Special Request” for materials not found in our vendor directory costs 6 points.
But how do you earn points?! You earn a point every time:
- Your project is funded and you confirm you still want the materials within 6 days.
- You return a Thank-You package that is complete and compelling.
- You return your Thank-You package on or before its due date.
It is really easy! So as you can see, if you want an EET, you need to have 6 points to do so! Want my top tips to get there quick!?
- Point small projects (worth $100-200) that can be easily funded quickly.
- Promote these small projects on Facebook to help spread the word and get them funded quickly!
- Don’t forget about the thank you packages!
- When you see an email from Donors Choose, don’t ignore it!
- Make sure you use key words in your projects! When I search to help SLPs, I type in speech! I am also looking for projects that I can help fund quick and that I can relate to! Hint hint, I check there often to help SLPs!
- Have an eye catching title of your project that will make people want to click and learn more how they can help you.
OK, so now you have enough points, let’s create a project for an EET!
- What title did I use? “Expanding Our Language!”
- Describe your students:”Can you imagine if you did not have enough vocabulary in order to communicate your wants and needs? My speech and language students have difficulties with vocabulary and verbal expression.My students are enrolled in a speech and language program in a public elementary school.
They have difficulties understanding and using vocabulary. This impacts their ability to succeed in their academic classrooms and socialize with their peers.”
- Don’t forget to select “special project” when you see the list of vendors!
Scroll to the bottom!!!
- You will be asked to provide the website of the vendor, what items and costs! This is what I provided.
- You can see information about pricing, product descriptions, product numbers, tax and shipping info by clicking HERE!
- About your project:
“The Expanding Expression Tool is a simple, hands-on approach that guarantees results. This tool can be used for general descriptions, writing from prior knowledge, autobiographies/biographies, summarizing and more. My students will learn how to independently use this approach to build vocabulary and comprehension.
Incorporating the Expanding Expression Tool into my speech and language classroom will impact my students forever.
They will learn new vocabulary in a fun and enriching manner. By increasing their vocabulary and verbal expression, they will succeed socially and academically.”
I hope seeing what I wrote can help you create your own project on Donors Choose to get an EET funded for your speech room. Have more questions, feel free to comment below or email me! I would love to help you get an EET for your speech room!