Wondering how you can help your families that have recently gotten an autism diagnosis?
In this episode of SLP Coffee Talk, I sat down with Hat Richardson to talk about how she got diagnosed with autism and ADHD as an adult and how it has changed the way she approaches supporting her families and students with autism.
She’s here to share some of her top tips for SLPs so that we can better understand and support our autistic students and their families.
Hat Richardson is an autistic, ADHD, neurodiversity-affirming Speech & Language Therapist. She is also a blogger, content creator, public speaker, and part-time AAC user.
In This Episode You’ll Discover:
- Hat’s journey as an SLP and how her autism and ADHD diagnosis changed her life
- How Hat helps people who have recently gotten an autism diagnosis
- The neurodiversity-affirming language that Hat uses in everything she does
- Why autism diagnoses are worth celebrating
- What masking is and what it looks like in someone with autism
- How we can support and encourage our students who struggle with masking
- Strength-based approaches to working with autistic students
- Using AAC for semi-speaking people
I hope you enjoyed this conversation with Hat and that you are able to take some of these tips and insights to better support your students with autism!
Join the community of SLPs working with grades 4-12 at SLPELEVATE.COM!
Joke of the Week:
Q: What did the lemon say when it answered the phone?
Where We Can Connect:
Follow & Review on Apple Podcasts
Are you following the podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to follow today so you don’t miss any future episodes! I already have so many amazing guests and topics lined up, I would hate for you to miss a single one! Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts.
Could I ask a big favor? If you are loving the podcast, I would LOVE it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts. I read each and every review. Plus, you get to pay it forward because it will allow other teachers like you to find the podcast! Wondering how to leave a review? Click here to review, then select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review”. So easy and so appreciated!