Do you want to use more You Tube videos in speech? Looking for more activities for your mixed speech therapy groups? How about Epic or Fail?!
What is Epic or Fail?
Epic or fail is a game played on the talk show, Ellen. She gives her audience signs and they watch videos. She pauses videos at a crucial point and makes the audience guess if it will be….
- epic = success
- fail = something will go wrong
…then she shows the rest of the video clip so everyone can see if they were right or wrong.
What speech goals can you address?
- Predicting/inferencing/looking for evidence
- Verb tenses
- Social skills – “how would you feel if…”
- Articulation/fluency at sentence/conversational level while verbally expressing responses
- And so much more!
How can you play Epic or Fail in speech?
- Display on a computer, tablet, or iPad
- Make sure you get the clip to the right point in the show, avoid excess parts (and skip the ads)
- Review what an epic and fail means and what they should be looking for.
- When Ellen pauses the video, you can pause the You Tube clip to elicit conversations while students provide their answers.
- No signs needed, students can use thumbs up or down or just verbally share.
- You can provide students with sticky note visuals to encourage complete sentences.
More benefits of using this game in speech
- Perfect for mixed groups
- Motivating, most students know who Ellen is
- There are tons of videos of this game on You Tube. You can play this multiple times!
- No prep required!
Where can you find these clips? Search “Ellen Epic or Fail” on You Tube or use some of the videos below!
Like this idea? Want similar ideas? CLICK HERE to view how I use commercials in speech!