Struggling to get 30 hours every 3 years to maintain your license and certification? I am here to help you figure out how to get all of your professional development hours!
30 hours in 3 years, just one more thing we have to add to the mix as SLPs. On top of therapy, evaluations, billing, meetings, and more meetings. There can be many reasons that can prevent us from getting our hours:
- We are just busy. We work full time, have families, and other responsibilities.
- There may not be that many options of workshops in our areas.
- Our schools may not let us take time during the work day to go to workshops.
- Cost. They cost money. Not many districts will help pay.
- Relevance. It can be difficult to find workshops, in your area, in your price range, at a convenience time, that will be relevant to your caseload and your needs.
Ok. Cost and availability is the main factors. We are busy, time is money, and we spend so much of our own money on materials and other things, it can be difficult to splurge on one more thing. So what can we do? So there are several options for you.
- Find free workshops in your district. Document all workshops you attend in your district and use them for maintenance hours.
- ASHA has been providing monthly free online CEUs.
- There are also free online CEUs through Super Duper, Dynavox, Ming Wing Concepts, Mayer-Johnson, and SATPAC.
Did you know that you don't NEED ASHA CEUs to maintain. You ONLY need CEUs if you have the registry program which maintains your hours for you. If you document and keep track yourself, you can use ANY professional development workshop. Click HERE to read more about CMH or Certification Maintenance Hours. Click HERE to see the verification of attendance form that ASHA has provided for you so you can document that you attended a workshop. Click HERE for the form that ASHA provides to keep track of all of your CMH workshops.
So what does this mean for SLPs? There are many options to get your hours! Where else can you for CMH hours? Guess what?! Teachers Pay Teachers will be NOW providing video resources! Yes, you read correctly. Sellers will have ability to create and upload video to the website for free or for sale. You can click HERE to see MY videos category in my store!
I will be uploading various tiny, free, snippets that you can watch and get tips and ideas. These will be for inspiration. I will be uploading free “courses” or webinars that will have a certificate of completion which you can use for CMHs. I will also be uploading various paid courses or webinars that will be VERY reasonably priced, $5-$10 which will also contain certificates of completion but will ALSO contain free TpT resources as a bonus. Stay tuned for more information as my videos get uploaded! Check back! Follow me on social media for immediate updates! If you aren't already signed up for my weekly newsletter, sign up HERE to be the FIRST to know about new videos!
Hope to see a video from me in the future? Hope to learn more about a specific topic? Leave a comment below or send me an email! I would love to hear from you! Are you excited for professional development videos from me that can be used towards your maintenance hours?!