Do you wonder how you can simplify your speech therapy sessions and minimize the tools and materials you need to have?
Our guest in this episode, Ashley Rossi, is here to show us how she keeps things simple by using books as her main therapy material. Ashley is the creator of the blog Sweet Southern Speech where she shares ideas for literacy-based therapy along with so many other great resources.
She explains why it is so beneficial for students to use reading and stories to help develop their language skills.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How Ashley saw the need to integrate literacy into her speech sessions
- How to determine the book that fits a student
- Ashley’s recommended award-winning authors
- An awesome way to get your wordless picture book collection this summer
- How to challenge older students to read books with rich content
- Choosing books with inferencing opportunities
- The value of aligning your therapy with what’s going on in the classroom
- Working vocabulary using great illustrations
After listening to this episode, you will come away with a list of book recommendations to use in your therapy sessions as well as ideas for building your classroom book collection on a budget.
Joke of the Week
Question: What building has the most stories?
Answer: The library
Where to Find Ashley:
Where We Can Connect:
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcasts
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today so you don’t miss any future episodes! I already have so many amazing guests and topics lined up, I would hate for you to miss a single one! Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts
Could I ask a big favor? If you are loving the podcast, I would LOVE it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts. I read each and every review. Plus, you get to pay it forward because it will allow other teachers like you to find the podcast! Wondering how to leave a review? Click here to review, then select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review”. So easy and so appreciated!