Smarty Ears has done it again! They developed an app perfect for SLPs! With the new push for common core curriculum and RTI (response to intervention) many SLPs are challenged to test or screen large amounts of students (with limited time). There are few ready to use protocols for screening especially designed with the common core in mind.
This app is easy to use and navigate. You can create a profile for all students you must assess. You can input in “settings” your name and school if that is always going to remain the same.
This app is designed for students entering, in, and graduating from kindergarten. However, if you have students functioning at that that level, you can use this app to get baseline functioning as well.
How to use it? The app will give you prompts for you to say to the student. The student will have to respond, select, or repeat depending on the task. This demonstrates receptive language, expressive language, and memory skills. For each task, you must count or keep track in your head (or can jot down) as students respond correctly and give them a score accordingly. You may want to hide the scoring from them which may be easier on some tasks then others.
Examples of tasks and skills assessed:
- Basic vocabulary: shapes, colors, numbers, letters
- Sight word reading
- Rhyming and other phonological awareness skills
- Following one and two step directions
- Spatial concepts
- Labeling and naming pictures
- Repeating sentences
- Answering basic information questions about self
- Grammar and punctuation
You can complete an assessment in one sitting or over time since assessments are stored and can be retrieved. Once completed, you can review score reports, print and/or email reports.
What I like about this app:
- Get great great baseline data
- Can help generate goals for IEPs or RTI
- Not many assessments or apps like this out there
- Easy to use and navigate
- Since on the iPad, easy for traveling SLPs
Things I would like to see in an update:
- The app to provide the verbal cues for tasks to assist the therapist and score automatically
- Allow you to input older grade levels even to assess the same common core skills
- Another app for assessing older elementary students
Overall, I think this app is great and one should consider it for future purchase orders of assessment materials. For $29.99, it is a lot cheaper than many out there! Learn more at iTunes!
Smarty Ears was extremely generous and provided me with two codes to giveaway!!! Enter below: