The last six months of COVID have been a real rollercoaster ride, right? Most of us have adapted our lives to fit the requirements of a school shutdown or remote work. We quickly learned how to use teletherapy to meet with our speech students and still be as effective as possible.
So, what does the industry research say about teletherapy and the trends we have seen because of COVID?* In this episode, I’m excited to dive into the research with Meredith Harold from The Informed SLP. Meredith Harold, PhD, CCC-SLP is a scientist and clinician, working to find realistic solutions to implement our field’s best research in practice. She is also the founder and owner of The Informed SLP—a website dedicated to connecting clinicians and scientists with each other’s work.
In This Episode You’ll Discover:
- The journey that brought Meredith to create The Informed SLP
- How The Informed SLP helps summarize research from the industry
- Why Meredith’s team saw the importance of teletherapy research
- Meredith’s predictions on future research about teletherapy for SLPs
- Advice for SLPs who are overwhelmed with teletherapy for their students
- Research regarding children of different ages and COVID
- Unique challenges to returning to school after COVID break
- Meredith’s favorite bit of advice for SLPs
After listening in, I hope you feel a sense that everything will work out and be okay. The future may still have some surprises for SLPs, but we are equipped with the skills necessary to help our students succeed.
*Disclaimer: This interview was recorded early summer 2020 before any plans for the 2020-2021 school year were announced.
Joke of the Week:
Q: What do you get when you throw a million books into the ocean?
A: A title wave
Where We Can Connect:
Subscribe & Review on Apple Podcasts
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to subscribe today so you don’t miss any future episodes! I already have so many amazing guests and topics lined up, I would hate for you to miss a single one! Click here to subscribe on Apple Podcasts.
Could I ask a big favor? If you are loving the podcast, I would LOVE it if you would leave me a review on Apple Podcasts. I read each and every review. Plus, you get to pay it forward because it will allow other teachers like you to find the podcast! Wondering how to leave a review? Click here to review, then select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review”. So easy and so appreciated!